1. Recognition of gallant performance by grant of Battle Honours, Theatre Honours and Honour Titles to units, reinforces motivation of soldiers for collective acts of valour during war. It caters for intrinsic and extrinsic needs of the arms in combat. Units will be awarded the honours due to them for taking active and creditable part for claiming an award of Battle Honours.
2. Battle Honours are official commemoration of battles, actions or engagements and are awarded to Regiments whose units or sub-units have taken active and creditable part in these operations. Battle Honours may be awarded in the form of ‘Battle Honour, Theatre Honour or Honour Title’.
4. Battle/Theatre Honours and Honour Titles so awarded will be included in the title of a unit. Details of the award will be published at the appropriate place in the Army List from time to time.
5. The policy regarding emblazonment of Battle Honours on Colonelours has been laid down in Government of India. Ministry of Defence Office Memorandum No F3/17/68/D(Ceremonials) dated 24 October 68 reproduced in AO 429/69.
6. Only the Mechanised Forces, the Corps of Engineers and the Infantry including embodied Units of the Territorial Army are eligible to the award of Battle Honours and Theatre Honours. Honour Titles can be claimed only by Artillery units including embodied units of the Territorial Army, Air Defence Artillery Units and Army Aviation Corps Units.
7. Signal Regiments/Signal Units whose collective performance in war merits due recognition will be eligible for award of Unit Citation by COAS. The Unit Citation will be claimed in the same manner as is being done in peace time. A separate committee will examine these claims at the Army Headquarters as is being done presently.
8. Battle Honours
Conditions for claiming Battle Honours are as under : -
9. Theatre Honour Units qualifying for the Battle Honour in a theatre will automatically qualify for Theatre Honour, .They may submit for theatre honour provided that a minimum of Headquarters and 50 percent of unit was present in the Theatre for at least one day and creditably performed an allotted task, such as guarding airfield or communication zone and the like. The Theatre Honour will not be emblazoned on Regimental Colonelours.
10. Honour Titles Artillery, Air Defence Artillery and Army Aviation Corps units which have distinguished themselves in a battle by rendering creditable service will be entitled to “ Honour Titles” in commemoration of that service, provided that a minimum of the Headquarters and 50 percent of the unit was present in the battle. Batteries may submit claims only where they did not form an integral part of an Artillery Regiment. However, in respect of Air Defence Artillery Units “Honour Titles” may be awarded for creditable and distinguished service in defence of VAs/VPs; for this purpose the stipulation of 50 % of unit strength will not apply. Units of Artillery, Air Defence Artillery and Army Aviation Corps granted “Honour Titles” will be entitled to write it with their names.