Fort William is situated in Kolkata on he eatern banks of river Hooghly. Then fort was named after King William III of England. There is a maidan in front of the fort. In really there are two forts, the old and the new one. The orignal fort had two stories and projecting wings and was completed in 1706 by British East India Company. This fort is used as a customs house from 1766 onwards. The new fort was built in the maidan in 1758 and is octagonal in shape. This new fort is used as the headquarters of the Eastern Command of the Indian Army. It is heavily guarded by the Indian Army and civilian entry is restricted.