A major landmark in the city of Hyderabad, Char Minar was build in 1591 A.D by the founders of the city in memory of the eradication of Plague, reflecting the fighting spirit of human kind. Mohammed Quli Qutb Shah, the founder of Hyderabad, built Charminar in 1591 at the centre of the original city layout. Constructed with granite and lime-mortar, the Charminar is a fine example of the Cazia style of architecture. The conjoined arches and domes are typical of the Islamic architecture.
Charminar is a squarish structure with four towers in the four corners of the square, each of whose sides is 20 metres in length. Every side opens into a plaza through giant arches, which overlook four major thoroughfares and dwarf other features of the building except the minarets. Each arch is 11 metres wide and rises 20 metres to the pinnacle from the plinth. The minarets soar skywards by 24 metres from the roof of Charminar. Each minaret has four storeys, each looking like a delicately carved ring around the minaret. Some Anglophiles call Charminar the Arc de Triomphe of the East. From the ground to the apex, the minarets cover a length of 48.7 metres.