1. Awarded for conspicuous gallantry otherwise than in the face of the enemy. The decoration may be awarded posthumously.
2. If a recipient of the Chakra shall again perform such an act of gallantry as would have made him or her eligible to receive the Chakra, such further act of gallantry shall be recognized by a Bar to be attached to the riband by which the Chakra is suspended and, for every subsequent act of gallantry, an additional Bar shall be added and such bar or bars may also be awarded posthumously. For every such Bar, a replica of the Chakra in miniature shall be added to the riband when worn alone.
3. Officers, men and women of all ranks of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force, of any of the Reserve Forces, of the Territorial Army, Militia and of any other lawfully constituted forces. Members of the Nursing Services of the Armed Forces.
*4. Civilian citizens of either sex in all walks of life, other than members of Police Forces and of recognized Fire Services.
5. Rs 1050/-pm and each bar to the decoration Rs 1050/-pm to all recipients.
* Amendment : Civilian Citizens of either sex in all walks of life and members of Police Forces including Central Para-Military Forces and Railway protection Force. (President's Secretariat Notification No 94-Pres/99 - Published in Part I, Section I of the Gazette of India Dated Saturday 10th July 1999)