How can women cultivate career success? How did some of the world's most powerful women manage to progress in their careers while also enjoying life outside of work?
Today’s Kalam magazine researching and writing about
women’s Empowerment allowed me to meet and write about incredible women. It’s genuinely a privilege to be in a room with such talented and ambitious women and It is my pleasure and an honor to share her experiences and view with you. let me tell you the story of a successful women, she is none other than Dr.P.VIJAYA M.D.,D.M. An eminent Neurologist in the Capital City of Guntur District. Great careers are no longer passed down or handed over. They must be seeded, tended and nurtured. When women take their success into their own hands, when they take ownership of their achievements, development and ambition, there is no limit to what they can accomplish.
A very exciting invitation to Dr.P.VIJAYA, being a woman from ordinary agricultural family how reached heights in her professional aswell as personal life is really an inspirational and outstanding example for today’s women empowerment scenario.Today’s kalam is proud to introduce her life journey to our esteemed readers.
BIRTH AND EDUCATION
Dr. P. Vijaya the lady behind the medical revolution in the name of Lalitha Super Specalities Hospitals Pvt., Ltd., Guntur, A.P. She was born to Late Sri P. KutumbaRao and koteswarammaon 08-july- 1962.Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek.As this sentence says from the age of schooling itself she stood as a state level topper not only in Academics but also in Extra curricular activities.
She pursued MBBS degree from Guntur Medical College. During her professional degree she obtained many Gold Medals and several University Ranks in addition to A.B.Shettyprize for the “Best all rounderstudent”of final year and graduated in 1984 as the “Best outgoing student” of her batch. After graduation she joined the prestigious Institute PostGraduate InstituteofMedicalEducation&Research (PGIMER),in Chandigarh forM.D. General Medicine from 1985 -1987 and it is exciting to notice that she received Gold Medal for being topper even in Post Graduation.She completed D.M. Neurology from PGIMERin 1990 with distinction and returned to serve her native place Guntur.
PERSONAL VS PROFESSIONAL LIFE
From the role of Meritorious student she enacted a role of successful doctor, and Good wife by getting married to well- known humble personality Dr.P. VeeraRaghava Sharma M.D, D.M Cardiology, FACC, FESC, FSCAI in year 1986.God blessed the family with two Male Children and she fulfilled the role of mother.In spite of being a successful doctor she played a greater role as mother With the companionship of beloved husband Dr.P.Veera Raghava Sharma. It is interesting that her elder son Dr. P.Anurag also got “BEST OUTGOING” Award and completed M.D. General Medicine and married to Dr. B.Sravanthi M.D. General Medicine recently. Dr P. Naren younger son finished MBBS with 10 Gold Medals and presently pursuing Internship in Guntur Medical College.
PROFESSIONAL DEDICATION & CARRER DEVELOPMENT
Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.She is the Harbor for success and dedication which made her to be what she is today.
Stepping stones of Dr.Vijaya
- Established Lalitha Super Speciality Hospital in 1990 Nov. with 10 Staff and now expanded to 350 bedded multi speciality Hospital with more than 1200 employees.
- First stroke unit in A.P started in 1996.
- 1st IV Thrombolysis with r- tPA in AP state.
- Pioneered Endo vascular Stroke Therapy, making Guntur as one of the few comprehensive stroke centres in South East Asia region.
- Established Lalitha College of Nursing in 2006 with “Learn and Serve” as its motto.
- In 2008, received Gold Medal Oration in the State IMA Golden Jubilee Conference
- Started DNB courses in Departments of General Medicine, Neurology and Cardiology in 2008.
- Received Dr.Dhakshina Murthy Gold Medal Oriation from IMA In 2009.
- The world Stroke Organization honoured Dr.P .Vijaya with Gold Medal in year 2010 for her valuable contribution and outstanding efforts to help the Stroke community, as Ankineedu Stroke centre stood in First place out of 84 World wide entries.
- In 2012 extended her Academic passion by starting ISCCM courses (for Post MD, Post MBBS and Post B.Sc/GNM Nursing)
- She was Member for Educational Committee and Teaching faculty for 10th World Stroke Congress- 2016
- Presented Several Scientific Papers in the Inter National conferences of capetown, Vienna ,san Diego, Barcelona, Seoul, Brazil, Istanbul, Paris etc... She is invited speaker for National Conferences, CME’s and Gold Medal Orations.
- She is the Principal Investigator for many International stroke research studies which runs under Clinical Research Department at Lalitha Super Specialities Hospital, Pvt., Ltd. she has several Scientific Publications in National & International Journals.
ANOTHER SIDE OF THE COIN
Dr.P.Vijaya, We Know her only as a successful women, along with passion towards profession, she steps forward in Philanthropic activities too .Donated for various voluntary & social welfare organizations. Since 2004 Adopted Two Primary Health Centre’s namely Pedakurapadu & Vellatore, Conducts two Free Health Camps Every month. In the name of her late Father as “Kutumba Rao Charitable Trust” Thousands of merit students receive scholarships for their Education Expenditure regularly from the year 2006 on Wards
SOCIAL & CULTURAL ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2005 - Dasari Cultural Academy Awarded Ugadi Puraskaram.
- 2010- Received Vocational Excellence Awared in recognition of positive contribution in Furtherance of Vocation from Rotary Club of Guntur.
- 2012- Felicitation for Professional Excellence from TR Mahesh Charitable Trust, Guntur on 13 Apr 2012.
- 2013- Received Mother Teresa Excellence Award for the Vocational Excellence By the Kaladarbar Cultural Association.
- She has been Felicitated by many Cultural & social Organization
- How Would you describe yourself in one word?
- Give an Example of a time when you solved an analytically difficult problem?
To plan and implement a Successful Stroke Awareness ProgrammeCovering Large Population dispelling their myths and wrong belief’s .
- How old are you, when you had first achievement ?share something about that ?
17 years, Winning the Prestigious Physiology Gold Medal Award in Andhra Medical College, Vizag which very few girl students achieved
- What is your favourite Quote?
“DO YOUR BEST ALWAYS“
- Tell us about an accomplishment you are most proud of?
Presenting scientific papers on OriginalResearch in International Stroke Conferences
- Whom do you like to credit your role model as --- Why?
Madam Curie ---Who perceived academic passion despite adverse situations.
- How will you maintain the Harmony among Professional&Personal Life, as being a successful Practitioner and a mother too…?
Time management,Hardwork and Prioritizing.
- You spent long journey working in medical firm, any observations about the challenges women face that are specific to your profession?
To establish as a good clinician & doctor, it took some time to gain confidence of public & professional colleagues ,
Balancing work &children , and
Maintaining academic interest in private practice .
- Which is your best achievement as a Neurologist?
Honoured byWorld Stroke Organization with Gold Medal in 2010 for world Stroke Day Activities.
- Tell us about a situation causing the feelings of regret in your career ?if any ?
With a smiling face “Nothing”
- What message you want to pass for our upcoming generations?
Try to Excel in whatever profession you choose&Aim at improving Your Self Every day.
- What motivates you to get out of bed for a hectic work area every morning?
Gratitude shown by many patients and their families who get well.
“ She is very compassionate and treats her patients with Great concern for the past 25 years, which makes people to come from far to be treated by her”