The Ordnance Factories’ Day is observed on 18th of March every year. The production of India’s oldest Ordnance Factory, which is at Cossipore of Kolkata, was started in 18th of March, 1802. The day is celebrated by displaying the rifles, guns, artillery, ammunition..etc in exhibitions all over India. Usually the exhibitions are open to all. The celebrations starts with a parade and the exhibition will also display the photographs of various mountaineering expeditions.
Ordnance Factory Board (OFB)
- OFB was founded in 1775 and it’s Headquarters is in Ayudh Bhawan, Kolkata.
- OFB is the oldest industrial organisation run by the Government of India.
- OFB is the world’s largest government operated production organisation.
- OFB consists of 41 Ordnance Factories, 9 Training Institutes, 3 Regional Marketing Centres and 4 Regional Controllerates of Safety, which are spread all over India.
- OFB is referred as the “Fourth Arm of Defence” and the “Force Behind the Armed Forces” of India.
- OFB is functioning under the Department of Defence Production of Ministry of Defence.
- The Indian Ordnance Factories supplies products to all three Indian Armed Forces. ie Indian Army, Indian Navy, and Indian Air force.
- The Arms and Ammunition, Weapon Spares, Chemicals & Explosives, Parachutes, Leather and Clothing items are being exported to more than 30 countries world-wide.