“Actions speak louder than words”. Sure, but sometimes words speak louder than anything else. We use spoken and written words every single day to communicate ideas, thoughts, and emotions to those around us. Sometimes we communicate successfully, and sometimes we’re not quite so successful. vocabulary learning is a vital part of education.
The importance of vocabulary details these three main features:
For a large majority of learners, the ultimate goal of studying is to be able to communicate in a new language. If one does not wish to lean completely on non-verbal skills, mastering vocabulary is not just important, but crucial in a foreign language environment.
- · Strong vocabulary allows one to develop other skills
Improving vocabulary has a direct, positive impact on your capacity to build up language proficiency as a whole. A rich vocabulary makes the skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing easier to perform.
· The more words one know, the more one will learn
Vocabulary is learned through focused, conscious study, but
One get develop a stronger vocabulary by either of the following tools:
- Thesaurus - A book that lists synonyms and antonyms. A thesaurus gives choices by which a word is used in a language. However, it’s important to have a good sense of the meanings of each word.
- Keep a journal- Incorporating interesting words into journal entry for the day (or week).
- Apps like VoLT- VoLT(Vocabulary learning techniques) is an application which provides various techniques to memorize complex words . It is very helpful for students who are preparing for various competitive exams. It helps to build one’s vocabulary in an interesting way.
- Bhavya Bhatia
Final year student at JMC, Delhi University